Friday, March 5, 2010

Surreal

Probably the strangest exchange I've heard on the metro, between Farragut West and Foggy Bottom:

Dorky-looking guy "That's a nice crucifux"
Grizzled guy "Uh thanks."
DlG "What does it mean to you?"
GG "What?"
DlG "What does the crucifix mean to you?"
GG "It's just my chain, man, you know what I mean?"
DlG "Ah."
GG "Just my chain."
silence
DlG "I once met a Satanist. He was a pedophile too."
GG "Shit got real?"
DlG "I couldn't kill him and I couldn't put him in jail."
GG muffled
silence
DlG "Here. This is for you." Pulls something out of his pocket. Looks like a medallion of some sort.
GG "Uh thanks."
DlG "You better ask me what it is before you leave or you're never going to find out."
silence
DlG "Well it's the medal of St B...."

At that point the the conductor announced the stop, and the brakes prevented me from hearing the rest. If it were a movie, I know it would have been a super important clue, and I really felt uneasy at not having heard the end. So if anyone happens to have come across the patron saint of creepy metro wierdos and pedophile bashing, let me know. I'm pretty sure it was a 'B' but I could be wrong.

Update:
In the little bit of research I have done about 'B' saints, I have found that Saint Benedict is the patron saint of all of the following (ripped from Wikipedia, of course):

-Against poison
-Against witchcraft
-Agricultural workers
-Cavers
-Civil engineers
-Coppersmiths
-Dying people
-Erysipelas
-Europe
-Farmers
-Fever
-Gall stones
-Heerdt (Germany)
-Inflammatory diseases
-Italian architects
-Kidney disease
-Monks
-Nettle rash
-Norcia (Italy)
-People in religious orders
-Schoolchildren
-Servants who have broken their master's belongings
-Speliologists
-Spelunkers
-Temptations

Pretty awesome dude. Also, there are two patron saints of beekeeping.

Update 2:
I posted a version of this conversation on Reddit, which informed me that it was likely the Medal of Saint Benedict!

No comments:

 
Site Meter