Monday, August 3, 2009

It can sometimes be difficult not to start harboring ill feelings towards different nationalities when you have to deal with tourists. Of course it isn't that people from certain countries always act the same way, since the majority of people we have to deal with are boring zombies who can't wait to get back to their buffets and bingo. But... often if someone is going to have an outrageous personality, it very often fits in with amusing stereotypes.

The one nationality this holds particularly true for is the French. I immediately cringe when I hear a French accent, because I just know they're going say something depressing and angsty like "Would it not be better if these bird had just died in ze wild than to be here and have peope gawking GAWKING at zem?" It's always hard not to laugh at how outrageously French French people can be. This was an actual exchange I had with a French group:
[On Deck 2 (of course)]
"Zes birds, zey cannot fly?"
"No, they flew into power lines and we had to amputate part of their wings."
"I thought zis was hospital.... but it is a zoo A ZOO!"
"Errrr... this is... a hosp..."
"What are you saying? If I go to American hospital, they vill cut off my arm?" *laughter from group*

The one group of people that has a positive vibe are the Aussies/Kiwis. They always seem to actually know things about birds and have good, interesting questions and they never try to skip out without paying. The one bad things about Aussies though is that they tend to say really racist things out of nowhere. Like once I was talking to a very pleasant Australian about eggs when he dropped "Oh yeah, the darkies in the outback do interesting things with emu eggs. Very primitive, but very pretty, and you can't really blame them since.... you know... they don't have the same... well they don't have the same capacities we do if you know what I mean."

One more thing that made me think of: one of my favorite games is to try to elicit fun interjections from foreigners. For instance when I mentioned the size of a kiwi's egg compared to its body to that Aussie he exclaimed "Bloody Nora!" which almost cracked me up. So I almost always try to stick in as many exciting, Guinness-type facts as possible. I've gotten a few "Dios Mios" some "Mama Mias," a couple "Crikey"s and, my favorite, one "O Santa Maria"

No comments:

 
Site Meter